Twitter Link

Saturday, January 24, 2015

New Accessible iOS Writing App

In the past week, I've been hearing and reading about a new app just launched in the iOS (iPhone/iPad) App Store called Voice Dream Writer
It's $9.99 in the App Store and was developed by the same group responsible for Voice Dream Reader, a wonderful app for reading DAISY books. I watched/listened to the video on how the app works. It definitely wetted my appetite for the app, so I've downloaded the app and am going through the Help section to learn more about how to use it. I love that they have a specific section on how it works with VoiceOver! From what I've read on AppleVis this app looks to be a wonderful app for people who have print disabilities. Check it out and let me know what you think. I've purchased the app for use in our VI Program and am excited that this may be a wonderful way for our students to write and edit their work.
For those on the geekier side, I'm including a helpful comment that I found on the VI Phone group explaining how using Markdown language makes it easy to locate text with a braille display:

Formatting
Voice Dream Writer supports a subset of Markdown, a quick way to format the text in your document on a mobile device without any of the complications of a full-blown Word Processor. Supported Markdown syntax:
• Headings. Use "#" (number sign) at the beginning of a paragraph for Headings. Number of "#" (number signs) is the heading level. These acts are markers that allow you to navigate the document easily using the Outline. VoiceOver users can jump to these markers using the cursor tool. When you export as a Word document, for example, these become styled as headings.
• Lists. (minus sign) at the beginning of a paragraph to denote a bulleted list, and a number followed by a period and a space denote a numbered list. If you'll ultiamtely export the document to HTML, RTF or Word, the numbers will be generate in the right sequence.
• Italics. Surround a word or phrase with asterisk to italicize it.
• Bold. Surround a word or phrase with 2 asterisks to bold it.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: